30.1.14

Artist Response: Quentin Blake

Quentin Blake's work

Quentin Blake's illustration for Michael Rosen's 'Sad Book' of Rosen sitting on the bed looking sad is a very memorable illustration. The use of color and line add to the mood of the illustration which is very sad and depressing.















My primary photograph for response

The photograph on the right, of my mother, is the image that I worked from to respond to Quentin Blake's illustration. I responded to Blake by using the same technique in which he uses to create his illustrations. I placed my primary image on a light-box and then placed a piece of watercolor paper on top.



Quentin Blake speaking about his technique















My response







The image on the right is my response.

I think that the most successful part of my response in the face. In the image above, Blake explains that he always starts with the most hardest part of the illustration first, which is usually facial expressions - this is a process which I also chose to use from Blake.

I think that the response could be improved by using less shades of grey; there are too many different types of grey in the image which overpowers the actual illustration.

I enjoyed using the light-box and I think that it is a very useful technique which I will be continuing to use in my practical work.

No comments:

Post a Comment