9.10.13

Artist Response: Dr Seuss

I chose to do a response to the film cover of the movie 'The Lorax', combining both typography and children's Illustrations.


The Lorax is one of my favourite films as not only does it have a great story line, but it is full of bright, bold colours and fantastic illustrations.


The first thing I did was draw The Lorax on an A3 piece of paper and thought of where I could place the typography so that it would be balanced. Once I did this, I painted my design using gouache paint. I chose to use gouache paint because it is very bold and makes the colours look block which makes the character stand out more.
Once I did this, I photographed my work and put it into Illustrator.
I used a graphics tablet to create my piece on Illustrator, as I do with all of my designs created on Illustrator. I used the 'Paintbrush Tool' to draw and colour The Lorax. I have the same colours on Illustrator as I do in the painting because I used the 'Eye Dropper' tool to select the colours on the painting and then draw the design.
For the typography, I changed the style of the 'Paintbrush Tool' to a calligraphy style and then drew the writing onto it.
I think that this was a successful response as I combined both typography and children's illustrations very well and the illustration stands out because the colours and bold and attractive. I would like to do another response to this image using this style and creating my own character that I can then develop further using a range of different materials such as screen printing.

No comments:

Post a Comment